Dr. Thomas Dehesselles
German Attorney at Law, Certified Specialist for Tax Law, Certified Specialist for Sports Law
Attorney Dr. Thomas Dehesselles specializes in sports law and nonprofit law. At the WINHELLER headquarters in Frankfurt/Main, he advises companies and nonprofit organizations.
One of his main areas of expertise is corporate and tax law advice in sport (especially football), science and culture. He supports professionally established sports clubs, sports corporations, associations, leagues, agencies and sports facilities. In particular, he advises on
- Conversions, spin-offs and mergers,
- Association and club law, especially club penalties
- Statute and group law in clubs/associations,
- Organ and liability issues,
- Admission of license league sport clubs,
- Sponsoring and sales tax,
- Name rights and usage contracts (stadiums, arenas) as well as
- Hospitality and compliance.
Thomas Dehesselles studied at the Universities of Hanover and Frankfurt/Main and was a partner in the multidisciplinary law firm Sonntag & Partner before joining WINHELLER. He has been a Certified Specialist for Tax Law since 2004 and a Certified Specialist for Sports Law since 2019. The U.S. publishing company Best Lawyers together with the German magazine Handelsblatt named him "Lawyer of the Year", in 2019, 2020 and 2021.
In addition to his profession as an attorney, he is an arbitrator at the German Sports Arbitration Court (Deutsches Sportschiedsgericht e.V., DIS). Furthermore, he is a lecturer for sports law related topics at the Goethe University Frankfurt/Main.
- Club penalty or competition rule: point deduction as an (inadmissible) sanction - the Waldhof Mannheim case, 5th Association Law Day, 21.02.2020
- What do expenses for hunting or fishing, sailing yachts or motor yachts and golf tournaments have in common?, Golf Management Club Germany e.V. (GMVD), 29.10.2017
- The spin-off of clubs to corporations, ELSA Sports Law Conference, 24.02.2017
- The illusion of volunteerism – Association, tax, social security and labour law problems of so-called expense compensation, 2nd Association Law Day, 20.01.2017
- Compliance in clubs, 7th Forum for Association Law, 24.09.2014
- Compliance in major (sport) associations: Is the sport more or less "compliant" than others?, University of Luxembourg, 14.05.2014
- Compliance in the family business, IHK Schwaben, 27.02.2014
- Foundation of a sponsoring association, Golf Management Club Germany e.V. (GMVD), 14.03.2013
- Fit for the Future – Outsourcing, Management Conference East, 01.02.2006
- VfB Stuttgart 1893 e.V.
Advice on tax law and association law regarding the Daimler Group's entry as an anchor investor