German Attorney at Law, LL.M. Tax (USA), Certified Specialist for Tax Law
For more than 17 years, Attorney Stefan Winheller has been specializing in the law of nonprofit organizations. He advises and represents nonprofit associations, trade and professional associations, nonprofit limited liability companies, foundations and other nonprofit organizations, particularly religious bodies. He supports wealthy private individuals in Germany and abroad, companies and the public sector in the establishment of foundations as well as in estate and business succession planning.
In addition, he supports companies and entrepreneurs, especially those with blockchain-based business models, in establishing a tax-optimized asset and business structure (foundation models, foundation holdings, GmbH holdings, asset protection) and in international tax law regarding questions on international tax structuring and optimization.
Stefan Winheller is regularly publishing articles in specialist books and magazines on his areas of expertise. He is the initiator and co-editor of the first commentary on nonprofit law published by the renowned German legal publishing house Nomos. Furthermore, he works as a lecturer and speaker, e.g. for the Abbe Institute for Foundation Studies at the University in Jena. He is also a lecturer at the University of Münster for the master's degree in “Nonprofit Management and Governance”.
Stefan Winheller volunteers as chairman of the foundation board of the charitable Karg Stiftung, which is dedicated to the promotion of highly gifted children and adolescents. In addition, he is a business angel and early investor for startup companies, especially in the tech sector. For more than seven years, he has been CEO of the American nonprofit organization American Friends of Germany, Inc., which supported German nonprofit organizations in their fundraising activities in the USA until the end of 2012.
As founder, sole shareholder and managing partner of WINHELLER, Stefan Winheller is in charge of the strategic direction and development of the law firm. He is married and has three children.
- Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung (BMBF)
Legal backing of the BMBF in the establishment of various German Health Research Centres (DZG) and the German Cancer Consortium (DKTK)
- Caritasverband Frankfurt e.V.
Ongoing advice and expert valuation on the association's articles as well as nonprofit issues
- FC Gelsenkirchen Schalke 04 e.V.
Legal advice on various issues concerning the law of associations and nonprofit law
- Fraunhofer-Institut für Zelltherapie und Immunologie
Nonprofit law advice related to various research facilities
- Hubert Burda Stiftung
Comprehensive revisions of the statute, agreements regarding forwarding of funds, staff contracts
- Islamic Relief Worldwide (UK) und Islamic Relief – Humanitäre Organisation in Deutschland e.V
Consultancy relating to comprehensive corporate restructuring of the globally operating Islamic relief organizations
- Landesstiftung "Miteinander in Hessen"
Ongoing tax advice and drafting of contracts regarding refugee aid projects
- Steuerberaterverband Hessen e.V.
Tax and legal advice on issues of legal structure and brand licensing problems
- Corporate Tax Germany, Stefan Winheller, in: Foreign Tax and Trade Briefs, Lexis Nexis
- Individual Income Tax, Stefan Winheller (Co-Autor), in: Foreign Tax and Trade Briefs, Lexis Nexis
Associations and Volunteering
- International Society of Primerus Law Firms
- Entrepreneurs' Organization - EO
- German-American Lawyers' Association (task force “Law of Taxation”)
- Karg Stiftung (chairman of the foundation board)
- German Bar Association
- Tax Law Group of the German Lawyers' Association
- Institute of Tax Advisers in Hessen, Germany
- Legal committee of the German Fundraising Federation
Continuous TrainingHolder of the DAV Certificates 2006-2018
Holder of the BRAK Certificates 2008-2020
Certificates of the Frankfurt Bar Association 2011-2017