Partner, German Attorney at Law, LL.M. Tax (GGU, CA, USA), Certified Specialist for Tax Law
For more than 20 years, Attorney Stefan Winheller has been specializing in tax law. He advises and represents charitable and non-charitable foundations as well as other nonprofit organizations. He supports wealthy private individuals in Germany and abroad, companies and the public sector in the establishment of foundations, asset structuring and business succession planning.
In addition, he supports companies and entrepreneurs, especially those with blockchain-based business models and/or substantial crypto assets, in establishing a tax-optimized asset and business structure (foundation models, foundation holdings, GmbH holdings, asset protection) and in international tax law regarding questions on international tax structuring and optimization - often also in an international, cross-border context.
Stefan Winheller is regularly publishing articles in specialist books and magazines on his areas of expertise. He is the initiator and co-editor of the first commentary on nonprofit law published by the renowned German legal publishing house Nomos. Furthermore, he worked as a lecturer and speaker, e.g. for the Abbe Institute for Foundation Studies at the University in Jena and the University of Münster for the master's degree in “Nonprofit Management and Governance”.
Stefan Winheller is a business angel and early investor for startup companies, especially in the tech sector. For more than seven years, he has been CEO of the American nonprofit organization American Friends of Germany, Inc., which supported German nonprofit organizations in their fundraising activities in the USA until the end of 2012.
As founder and managing partner of WINHELLER, Stefan Winheller is in charge of the strategic direction and development of the law firm. He is married and has three children.
Associations and Volunteering
- Entrepreneurs' Organization - EO
- German-American Lawyers' Association (task force “Law of Taxation”)
- German Bar Association
- Tax Law Group of the German Lawyers' Association
- Institute of Tax Advisers in Hessen, Germany
- Legal committee of the German Fundraising Federation
- Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung (BMBF)
Legal backing of the BMBF in the establishment of various German Health Research Centres (DZG) and the German Cancer Consortium (DKTK)
- Caritasverband Frankfurt e.V.
Ongoing advice and expert valuation on the association's articles as well as nonprofit issues
- FC Gelsenkirchen Schalke 04 e.V.
Legal advice on various issues concerning the law of associations and nonprofit law
- Fraunhofer-Institut für Zelltherapie und Immunologie
Nonprofit law advice related to various research facilities
- Hubert Burda Stiftung
Comprehensive revisions of the statute, agreements regarding forwarding of funds, staff contracts
- Islamic Relief Worldwide (UK) und Islamic Relief – Humanitäre Organisation in Deutschland e.V
Consultancy relating to comprehensive corporate restructuring of the globally operating Islamic relief organizations
- Landesstiftung "Miteinander in Hessen"
Ongoing tax advice and drafting of contracts regarding refugee aid projects
- Steuerberaterverband Hessen e.V.
Tax and legal advice on issues of legal structure and brand licensing problems
- Corporate Tax Germany, Stefan Winheller, in: Foreign Tax and Trade Briefs, Lexis Nexis
- Individual Income Tax, Stefan Winheller (Co-Autor), in: Foreign Tax and Trade Briefs, Lexis Nexis
Do you need support?
Do you have questions about our services or would you like to arrange a personal consultation? We look forward to hearing from you! Please fill in the following information.
Or give us a call: +49 69 76 75 77 80