Employment Visa Germany

German Employment Visas And Visas for Temporary Work Assignments

How to get a work visa for Germany

Citizens of non-EU countries who intend to work in Germany must apply for a work visa with the competent German authority before entering the country. After having entered Germany on a German employment visa, such employees may begin working immediately. However, they must then apply for a residence/work permit with the local German foreigners office.

How to apply for a work visa in Germany

Which are the requirements for a German employment visa?

Details about which documents have to be included in your German work visa application are available online on the website of the competent German embassy or consulate.

There is an exception to the general German employment visa requirements for citizens of certain favored countries, including

  • the United States,
  • Australia and
  • Japan.

Citizens of these favored countries do not need a visa to enter Germany for employment purposes. Instead, after entering Germany visa-free, they are permitted to apply to the local German foreigners authority for a residence/work permit. However, citizens of favored countries who have entered without a visa may only begin working after receiving an approved and valid residence/work permit in Germany.

Intended employment affects visa eligibility

Germany also regulates the type of work that foreign citizens may perform on a German employment visa. Again, however, there is an exception to the general rule. Citizens of certain countries may perform any kind of work in Germany.

Furthermore, depending on the individual circumstances, the German Labor Department may have to approve the intended employment. It is therefore important that, prior to applying for a residence/work permit in Germany, a careful review is conducted to determine if it will be possible to obtain the residence/work permit for the intended employment.

Your attorney for German employment visas for high-wage jobs

Your attorney for all matters related to employment visas in Germany for the high-wage sector, residence permits and Blue Cards is Attorney Thomas Schwab. He has helped numerous business clients getting a work visa in Germany and setting up their business. You can reach us via e-mail (info@winheller.com) or by phone (+49 69 76 75 77 80).

Do you need support?

Do you have questions about our services or would you like to arrange a personal consultation? We look forward to hearing from you! Please fill in the following information.

Or give us a call: +49 69 76 75 77 80