German Attorney at Law, Certified Specialist for IT Law, Certified Specialist for Intellectual Property Law
Attorney Olga Stepanova leads the department of IT law, intellectual property and data protection at WINHELLER.
She provides comprehensive advice on IT contract law, including software development contracts and software transfer agreements, as well as in the context of extensive IT projects, e.g. outsourcing of IT infrastructure.
As regards data protection law, she mainly advises on the General Data Protection Regulation. She analyses data protection compliance of companies and (charitable) nonprofit organizations and develops tailor-made intra-company data management systems and IT-security concepts. She is available as External Data Protection Officer and advises on the development of apps, especially in the banking, technology and health sector.
Her main fields of expertise include trademark law, copyright law, and competition law. She provides advisory services (e.g. development of a trademark strategy, trademark registration, license agreements) and represents our clients in cases involving the judicial or extra-judicial enforcement or defense of such rights (e.g. warnings).
In addition, she also advises on all e-/m-commerce issues and blockchain-based business models.
Her clients not only include startups and high-growth companies that she assists in implementing new business ideas, but also long-established companies where she helps to bring legal affairs up to date. In addition, she advises the public sector on various digitalization projects.
She advises our Russian clients in their mother tongue and is a member of our Russian Desk.
Olga Stepanova studied at Münster University. She served her legal traineeship at Dortmund Regional Court including placements at the Düsseldorf Chamber of Industry and Commerce and an international corporate law firm in Istanbul, Turkey. Prior to joining WINHELLER, she worked for the Frankfurt-based corporate law firm Arnecke Sibeth. The U.S. publishing company Best Lawyers together with the German magazine Handelsblatt named her "Lawyer of the Year", in 2021. She likes to spend her free time with design and photography.
- Data protection and blockchain - a contradiction?, Crypto Rockstars Cruise, Cologne, 16.10.2021
- Data protection and blockchain - contradiction or opportunity?, WM & DLC Certificate Course "Blockchain in Finance", 15.09.2021
- Digitalization in Nonprofit Organizations, Haus des Stiftens gGmbH, webinar, 03.03.2021
- Corporate Liability, Compliance Management Systems and Data Protection Compliance, WINHELLER, webinar, 02.03.2021
- Digitalization in Associations – legal and practical basics of planning and implementation, 6th Association Law Day, Frankfurt/Main, 26.02.2021
- Data protection and digitization: 5 practical tips for entrepreneurs, Morgen & Morgen, webinar, 03.06.2020
- Short-time work + home office: livelihoods for NPOs during the crisis, Haus des Stiftens gGmbH, webinar, 09.04.2020
- Blockchain and GDPR, 24th data protection round table, Frankfurt/Main, 05.03.2020
- Blockchain and GDPR – tackling the biggest issues with Olga Stepanova, The Blockchain Lawyer, 11.02.2020
- Blockchain in civil litigation - "War stories" and ideas for the future, Podcast Recht im Ohr, 16.01.2020
- Public Blockchains with Nodes in Third Countries, Blockchain, Sustainable Development and Privacy, Berlin, 26.11.2019
- Blockchain and GDPR - A perfect match for three reasons, TechWeek, Frankfurt/Main, 13.11.2019
- Data Protection in Russia nd Germany, Meeting of the German-Russian Lawyers Association (DRJV), Frankfurt/Main, 13.06.2019
- Data Protection within the Blockchain, KryptoLogisch Webinar, 09.04.2019
- Panel discussion, ChainPoint'18, Yerevan, Armenia, 14.11.2018
- New General Data Protection Regulation from May 2018 - Content and necessity of data protection concepts, StiftungsFORUM Westfalen 2018, Bielefeld, 21.03.2018
- The new EU General Data Protection Regulation: Effects on social institutions, Der Paritätische Hessen, 05.03.2018
- Data protection from 2018 - How do NPOs have to deal with customer and member data?, Haus des Stiftens gGmbH, webinar, 07.02.2018
- AIDS-Hilfe Hessen e.V.
External Data Protection Officer, advice on privacy law
- Asian Airline
Advice on the implementation of the GDPR
- Nuri GmbH (former Bitwala GmbH)
Comprehensive advice on trademark law and data protection law, work as External Data Protection Officer
- Deutsche Herzstiftung e.V.
Creation of a comprehensive data protection concept, appointed as External Data Protection Officer
- Dr. Jürgen und Irmgard Ulderup Stiftung
Establishment of a comprehensive data protection concept
- Emerald Industries L.L.C.
Management of a global brand portfolio (over 300 brands in 106 countries) in the tobacco industry
- Förderverein PRO ASYL e.V.
Advice on data protection and the implementation of the GDPR, creation of a comprehensive data protection concept
- Litebit Deutschland GmbH
Advice on data protection law in the context of applying for a BaFin license for the purposes of custody of cryptocurrencies
- Mein Grundeinkommen e.V.
Ongoing advice on data protection and competition law, in particular the implementation of data protection law for the pilot project for comprehensive research into the effects of the basic income with more than one million applicants
- Selbsthilfe e.V.
Creation of a detailed data protection concept and provision of the External Data Protection Officer
Advice on data protection issues, in particular in the field of third-country transfer of health data, as well as support of the company's data protection officer
- Stiftung des öffentlichen Rechts zur Aufarbeitung von Verbrechen der Staatssicherheit der DDR
External Data Protection Officer, implementation of the GDPR
- Technical University of Applied Sciences Lübeck
Legal opinion on blockchain-based administration and verification of university certificates, in particular assessment of data protection requirements and advice on the use of Salt and Pepper
- Comment on The Decision of The Wiesbaden Administrative Court: Balancing Act Between Data Protection And Insolvency Law, Olga Stepanova and Patricia Jechel, RDi - Recht digital, 9/2022, p. 408ff.
- Corporate Law Classification of Decentralized Autonomous Organizations (DAO), Olga Stepanova, AnwZert HaGesR, juris/DeutscheAnwaltAkademie, 17/2022, note 1
- „Fruit of the poisonous tree“-Doctrine in data protection?, Jörn Erbguth and Olga Stepanova, ZD – Zeitschrift für Datenschutz, 5/2022, p. 249ff.
- The Privacy, Data Protection and Cybersecurity Law Review – Chapter 11 – Germany, Olga Stepanova and Patricia Jechel, Law Business Research, p. 173–181, 8th edition 2021
- Fines under the GDPR - liability of the association or legal entity?, AnwZert HaGesR, juris/DeutscheAnwaltAkademie, 20/2021, p. 7ff.
- Data Protection Law Requirements for a Shareholder's Right to Information, Olga Stepanova, AnwZert HaGesR, juris/DeutscheAnwaltAkademie, 18/2021, p. 4ff.
- §§ 140-148 AO E. Data Protection; Legal Forms for Nonprofit Organizations - Association Annex Data Protection, Olga Stepanova, in: Non-Profit Law, Stefan Winheller, Stefan Geibel and Monika Jachmann-Michel, Nomos-Verlag, 2nd ed.
- Principle of data localization in Russia - obstacle to free data exchange with the EU?, Olga Stepanova and Florian Groothuis, ZD - Zeitschrift für Datenschutz, 6/2020, p. 291ff.
- The Privacy, Data Protection and Cybersecurity Law Review – Chapter 13 – Germany, Olga Stepanova and Julius Feldmann, Law Business Research, S. 195–205, 7th edition 2020
- Annual General Meetings - new challenges posed by the GDPR, Olga Stepanova, AnwZert HaGesR, juris/DeutscheAnwaltAkademie, 10/2020, note 2
- Data unions: A solution to the consent dilemma?, Jörn Erbguth, Olga Stepanova and Andreas Diehl, Legal Revolutionary, 18.05.2020, pp. 145ff.
- Crowdlending, consumer protection and tokens: The "savedroid" case as a missed opportunity for judicial legal training, Olga Stepanova, Recht innovativ, 01/2020, p. 18ff.
- DIN SPEC 4997 – Privacy by Blockchain Design: A standardised model for processing personal data using blockchain technology, Beuth Verlag, 04/2020
- Influence on data protection law in M&A transactions, Olga Stepanova, AnwZert HaGesR, juris/DeutscheAnwaltAkademie, 1/2020, note 2
- The Privacy, Data Protection and Cybersecurity Law Review – Chapter 12 – Germany, Olga Stepanova and Florian Groothuis, Law Business Research, p. 180–188, 6th edition 2019
- Right of withdrawal when trading cryptocurrencies, Benjamin Kirschbaum and Olga Stepanova, BKR - Journal of Banking and Capital Markets Law, 6/2019, p. 286ff.
- The Privacy, Data Protection and Cybersecurity Law Review - Chapter 11 – Germany, Olga Stepanova, Law Business Research, 10/2018, p. 146–153, 5th edition 2018
Associations and Volunteering
- German-Russian Lawyers' Association
German, English, Russian, French