German Attorney at Law, External Data Protection Officer
Attorney Olga Stepanova works for WINHELLER in the areas of IT law, intellectual property and data protection. Her main fields of expertise include trademark law, copyright law, and competition law. She provides advisory services (e.g. development of a trademark strategy, trademark registration, license agreements) and represents our clients in cases involving the judicial or extra-judicial enforcement or defense of such rights (e.g. warnings). In addition, she advises on any issues relating to electronic and mobile commerce, IT law, and blockchain-based business models.
As regards data protection law, she mainly advises on the General Data Protection Regulation. She analyses data protection compliance of companies and (charitable) nonprofit organizations and develops tailor-made intra-company data management systems and IT-security concepts. She is also happy to advise on the development of apps, especially in the health sector.
Her clients not only include startups and high-growth companies that she assists in implementing new business ideas, but also long-established companies where she helps to bring legal affairs up to date.
She advises our Russian clients in their mother tongue and is a member of our Russian Desk.
Olga Stepanova studied at Münster University. She served her legal traineeship at Dortmund Regional Court including placements at the Düsseldorf Chamber of Industry and Commerce and an international corporate law firm in Istanbul, Turkey. Prior to joining WINHELLER, she worked for the Frankfurt-based corporate law firm Arnecke Sibeth. She likes to spend her free time with design and photography.
- Data protection and digitization: 5 practical tips for entrepreneurs, Morgen & Morgen, webinar, 03.06.2020
- Short-time work + home office: livelihoods for NPOs during the crisis, Haus des Stiftens gGmbH, webinar, 09.04.2020
- Blockchain and GDPR, 24th data protection round table, Frankfurt/Main, 05.03.2020
- Blockchain and GDPR – tackling the biggest issues with Olga Stepanova, The Blockchain Lawyer, 11.02.2020
- Blockchain in civil litigation - "War stories" and ideas for the future, Podcast Recht im Ohr, 16.01.2020
- Public Blockchains with Nodes in Third Countries, Blockchain, Sustainable Development and Privacy, Berlin, 26.11.2019
- Blockchain and GDPR - A perfect match for three reasons, TechWeek, Frankfurt/Main, 13.11.2019
- Data Protection within the Blockchain, KryptoLogisch Webinar, 09.04.2019
- Panel discussion, ChainPoint'18, Yerevan, Armenia, 14.11.2018
- New General Data Protection Regulation from May 2018 - Content and necessity of data protection concepts, StiftungsFORUM Westfalen 2018, Bielefeld, 21.03.2018
- The new EU General Data Protection Regulation: Effects on social institutions, Der Paritätische Hessen, 05.03.2018
- Data protection from 2018 - How do NPOs have to deal with customer and member data?, Haus des Stiftens gGmbH, webinar, 07.02.2018
- AIDS-Hilfe Hessen e.V.
External Data Protection Officer, advice on privacy law
- Asian Airline
Advice on the implementation of the GDPR
- Bitwala GmbH
Comprehensive advice on trademark law and data protection law, work as External Data Protection Officer
- Deutsche Herzstiftung e.V.
Creation of a comprehensive data protection concept, appointed as External Data Protection Officer
- Dr. Jürgen und Irmgard Ulderup Stiftung
Establishment of a comprehensive data protection concept
- Emerald Industries L.L.C.
Management of a global brand portfolio (over 300 brands in 106 countries) in the tobacco industry
- Förderverein PRO ASYL e.V.
Advice on data protection and the implementation of the GDPR, creation of a comprehensive data protection concept
- Litebit Deutschland GmbH
Advice on data protection law in the context of applying for a BaFin license for the purposes of custody of cryptocurrencies
- Mein Grundeinkommen e.V.
Ongoing advice on data protection and competition law, in particular the implementation of data protection law for the pilot project for comprehensive research into the effects of the basic income with more than one million applicants
- Selbsthilfe e.V.
Creation of a detailed data protection concept and provision of the External Data Protection Officer
Advice on data protection issues, in particular in the field of third-country transfer of health data, as well as support of the company's data protection officer
- Stiftung des öffentlichen Rechts zur Aufarbeitung von Verbrechen der Staatssicherheit der DDR
External Data Protection Officer, implementation of the GDPR
- Technical University of Applied Sciences Lübeck
Legal opinion on blockchain-based administration and verification of university certificates, in particular assessment of data protection requirements and advice on the use of Salt and Pepper
- Principle of data localization in Russia - obstacle to free data exchange with the EU?, Olga Stepanova and Florian Groothuis, ZD - Zeitschrift für Datenschutz, 6/2020, p. 291ff.
- Annual General Meetings - new challenges posed by the GDPR, Olga Stepanova, AnwZert HaGesR, juris/DeutscheAnwaltAkademie, 10/2020, note 2
- Data unions: A solution to the consent dilemma?, Jörn Erbguth, Olga Stepanova and Andreas Diehl, Legal Revolutionary, 18.05.2020, pp. 145ff.
- Crowdlending, consumer protection and tokens: The "savedroid" case as a missed opportunity for judicial legal training, Olga Stepanova, Recht innovativ, 01/2020, p. 18ff.
- DIN SPEC 4997 – Privacy by Blockchain Design: A standardised model for processing personal data using blockchain technology, Beuth Verlag, 04/2020
- Influence on data protection law in M&A transactions, Olga Stepanova, AnwZert HaGesR, juris/DeutscheAnwaltAkademie, 1/2020, note 2
- The Privacy, Data Protection and Cybersecurity Law Review – Chapter 12 – Germany, Olga Stepanova and Florian Groothuis, Law Business Research, p. 180–188, 6th edition 2019
- Right of withdrawal when trading cryptocurrencies, Benjamin Kirschbaum and Olga Stepanova, BKR - Journal of Banking and Capital Markets Law, 6/2019, p. 286ff.
- The Privacy, Data Protection and Cybersecurity Law Review - Chapter 11 – Germany, Olga Stepanova, Law Business Research, 10/2018, p. 146–153, 5th edition 2018
Associations and Volunteering
- German-Russian Lawyers' Association
- German Bar Association
- Intellectual property and media group of the German Bar Association
Continuous TrainingTÜV NORD Certification Data Protection Officer
Maastricht University: Data Protection Officer (DPO) Certification
German, English, Russian, French
Recent blog posts
30.09.2020 - Olga Stepanova
30.06.2020 - Olga Stepanova
03.06.2020 - Olga Stepanova